Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a safe way of supplying the body with additional oxygen at the cellular level
- Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy increases the capacity of the body to be able to heal itself by providing the ideal environment for the body to carry out vital cell processes
- Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy uses filtered and pressurised ambient air to dissolve oxygen straight into the blood plasma, spinal and cerebral fluids saturating vital organs and tissues with Oxygen
- Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy allows the body to heal itself at the cellular level. This is critical for changes to occur which affect the healthy formation of tissue, which in turn gives you healthier organs and a healthier body overall.
Is it safe?
- Yes! The Mild Hyperbaric Chamber utilises filtered ambient air, which means that there is no risk of Oxygen Toxicity even if using the chamber on a regular basis
- The person receiving treatment can depressurise and open the chamber from the inside if they need to
- When inside the chamber, it is possible to communicate both verbally and visually with the outside and there is also a handset provided to use as an intercom
- Most clients report having a relaxing, comfortable experience and exit the chamber feeling revitalized
- This is a non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical therapy, and there have been no reported dangerous side-effects
How does it work?
- The Mild Hyperbaric Chamber is inflated with compressed ambient air until it is at a pressure of 1.3ATA (equivalent of 11 feet below sea level)
- The increase in pressure helps the blood plasma and other liquids in the body to absorb extra oxygen. This greatly increases the oxygen uptake by the cells, glands, tissues, brain, organs and fluids of the body
- This increased uptake of oxygen allows the body to increase circulation to areas with swelling and/or inflammation and simultaneously, the increase in pressure decreases the swelling and inflammation
- This oxygen is also utilised by the body for vital cell functions. Having healthier cells means having healthier organs and tissues
- The human body is very proficient in healing itself when it has what it needs, and what the human body needs more than anything else is oxygen
Why does it work?
Henry’s Law of Physics
- The increased atmospheric pressure allows for more gas to be dissolved in any fluid
- The eighth element on the periodic table, Oxygen, at room temperature exists as a gas
- The human body is made almost entirely of water
Gas… under pressure… dissolves in water
Are there any side effects?
There have been no dangerous side effects reported with Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
There are however some things to remember when preparing for your first time in the chamber:
- When the chamber is being pressurised or de-pressurised, you may experience a slight discomfort in your ears. This is very similar to if you were on an aeroplane during take-off or landing
- Following the first few sessions, you may experience some fatigue. This is due to your body clearing itself of a build-up of toxins. This is perfectly normal and safe
How should I prepare for my session?
- We recommend that you wear loose, comfortable clothing as tight garments such as pantyhose may contribute to feelings of claustrophobia
- Feel free to bring personal computers, DVD players or any other form of entertainment into the chamber. It may also be helpful to have your mobile phone with you. We ask that you refrain from bringing any sharp objects into the chamber with you
- We advise against drinking large quantities of fluids before entering the chamber
- Do not wear perfumes or aftershave when you are having a session in the chamber
What will happen during my session?
- When the chamber is deflated, it will appear smaller than when it is pressurised. Once the chamber is at full pressure, there will be enough room for an adult to sit upright or lie down
- As the chamber pressurises, you may experience discomfort/pressure in your ears. There are a few ways that you can equalise your ears and relieve any discomfort, such as:
- The Valsavla Manoeuvre – Pinch your nose, close your mouth and attempt gently blowing air out of your nose. Repeat this every time you begin to feel the pressure
- Yawn, opening your mouth wide. This drains the sinus passages surrounding your ears, relieving the pressure
- If you are a parent/guardian accompanying a child who is having difficulty equalising the pressure, try massaging the area directly under the ears and behind the jaw
How long does a session last?
- A session in the Mild Hyperbaric chamber will usually last for between 60 and 120 minutes
Are there any reasons that I should not go in the chamber?
You should not enter the chamber if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Common colds or flu-like symptoms
- Recent alcohol consumption
- Blocked ear canals
- Blocked sinuses
- Otic Barotraumas – ear pain or damage to the tympanic membrane caused by rapid changes in pressure
- Excessive CO2 exposure
- Pneumothorax – collapsed lung
Please do not use the chamber when wearing aftershave or perfume
How frequently should I have sessions in the chamber?
- After your initial evaluation, we will make a recommendation for you